Floriade – Welcome spring in Australia’s capital
Inspired by a fresh new theme every year, Canberra’s world-class spring festival, Floriade runs each year between September and October with more than one million blooms on display as a backdrop to celebrations throughout Commonwealth Park, Camberra. With free entre the event welcomes more than 480,000 local, interstate and international visitors each year.
Floriade ; A feast for the sense
This year, Floriade will feature 99 varieties of tulips, with a total of 388, 642 tulip bulbs planted. They will also have module planter boxes, which will feature 27 varieties of tulips (some doubles), with a quantity of 33, 231 tulip bulbs in total.
To make up the million bulbs, they also feature the more types in addition to the tulipa varietals like: Iris, Narcissus, Ranunculus, Bellis, Pansy, Viola, Violetta, Chrysanthemum, Hyacinth, Muscari, Scilla and Spring Star Flower
Floriade is Australia’s premier celebration of spring.
Floriade is a place where you can stimulate your senses, engage your mind and fire your imagination with big ideas and exciting garden concepts.
Visitors will see the floral theme across Floriade represented in garden beds, horticultural workshops, engaging demonstrations, children’s entertainment and the ticketed twilight event, Floriade NightFest.
In addition to the beautiful flower displays, visitors to Australia’s largest celebration of spring can pick up gardening tips from experts in the field, listen to inspiring musical performances, enjoy culinary demonstrations by world-renowned chefs and keep the kids entertained with an exciting line up of activities.
As the sun sets on Commonwealth Park, Floriade’s after-dark extravaganza takes visitors on a journey of discovery with spectacular lighting designs, roving performers, bustling night markets and a fantastic line-up of entertainment.
See Floriade transformed into an illuminated wonderland as the vibrant colour of the stunning new lighting designs bathe the garden beds, pond waters and trees
Enjoy comedy acts, roving entertainment, food and wine and be awed and inspired by the amazing lighting displays of Floriade NightFest, as created by internationally renowned lighting display company, Mandylights.
NightFest is a ticketed event, which occurs in the middle two weeks of Floriade.
Floriade Fast Facts
- Floriade started in 1988 as a one off celebration of Canberra’s 75th birthday and Australia’s bicentenary of European settlement.
- The name Floriade comes from the Latin word ‘floreat’ which means “may it flourish or bloom”.
- 481,854 visitors attended Floriade in 2014 – the highest attendance on record.
- NightFest is returning for its eighth consecutive year, after two sell-out nights in 2014.
- More than one million plants will make up Floriade 2016.
- The theme for Floriade 2015 was Reflection, inspired by the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings at Gallipoli.
- This year, Floriade will not present a theme. Instead, the festival getting back to the core ideas driving Floriade; flowers, horticulture, gardening, design and innovation.
- Now in its 29th year, Floriade is still free to attend during the day.
- Floriade is the largest floral festival in the southern hemisphere.
- Floriade relies on more than 200 dedicated and passionate volunteers to help bring the event to life each year.
- Once the gates close on Floriade, the event’s volunteers are offered some of the plants and the remaining flowers are cut and distributed to local nursing homes and hospitals.
- The garden beds are then ripped up and replaced with more than 20,000 square metres of turf, returning Commonwealth Park to its regular state.